Monday, December 31, 2007

Poetry: The Main Course

by Julia K. Dinsmore in My Name is CHILD of GOD . . . Not "Those People": A First-Person Look at Poverty

(Amen, sister. My resolution for 2008 is to have more attitude like Julia. On behalf of all good real women out there, still waiting and worth waiting for . . . )

I ain't no appetizer you can nibble here and there.
I'm not a side dish either, believe me if you care.

I'm sweeter than dessert and more delicious than a treat.
My fuzzy-navel nectar gonna knock you off your feet.
I ain't a bag of chips you can munch on now and then.
And that's real good for you,
'cuz salty oil is not your friend.
I'm not a Mountain Dew, or a Kool-Aid, or some tea.
A drink of me refreshes and brings serenity.
I'm not sloppy seconds upon a dirty plate.
My portion is enough your hunger to abate.
If you haven't figured out by now, I ain't no
Midnight munchie,
Or the crunchy in the nut mix,
Or the funky fast-food lunchy.
I'm the main course, daddy, Number 1, and one and only,
A feast of finest splendor that would never
Leave you lonely.
I'm the main course, daddy, my plate is all you need.
My taste is that of succulence, nowhere else
You'll want to feed.
I'm not leftover hot dish warmed up in a pan.
My meat is fresh and sizzlin' hot, and kept up for a man.
A man who can appreciate dining at its best,
Saving up his appetite for rib, and thigh, and breast.
You see . . . I'm the main course, daddy, and that's
All I'll ever be. Go ahead and eat your junk food,
'Cuz you won't be tastin' me!

3 Comments:

Blogger Tracey said...

um, i love this.

two, i'm sorry i didn't get back to you before the holidays. if you're around now, we should get together before classes resume.

January 02, 2008 7:31 AM  
Blogger Gretzky said...

Hi Ingrid!

It's Gret from Day of the Quote...your blog's a great find...I love poetry and Wendell Berry and random quotes on Swedish bus tickets....I was poking around emergent/reconciliation blogs the other day...maybe on Liz Verhage's? She's here in Seattle.....side note: I was born in Chicago to a long line of Swedish Covenanters, and I even went to North Park for a year...we probably know someone in common. :)

Gret

January 05, 2008 5:26 PM  
Blogger happychipmunk said...

Hi Ingrid - I just got caught up on your blog. I think you're a genius - literally. Thank you so much for your thoughts. I posted an excerpt from your blog - let me know if it's not okay and I will remove it immediately. I also said that I thought that The Main Course is probably one of my least favorite postings... why is she comparing herself to food? Why are good real women waiting and being waited for? Why aren't they living like you do so that one day someone (presumably a man if I'm following you) who is also living like you do may be noticed or notice one who is living and ask to live alongside her? I'm probably reading too far into this post... but those are my thoughts. Thanks again for your posts!!! (for more on what I like about your blogs, check out mine)
Johnna

January 07, 2008 10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home