Sunday, March 22, 2009

Quotable: Time and Eternity

I haven't read this book, but I think I might need to get around to it someday soon. My dear friend Abby hand-copied this for me onto a piece of green stationery and gave it to me one day when I was needing some encouragement and perspective. I still have the piece of paper about 5 years and 10 relocations later. I keep it posted or tucked somewhere in my room where I will run across it occasionally. It never fails to cheer me up, both because of what it says and because it reminds me of Abby's kindness and humor and our good days together in Decorah, IA.

" . . . and I really believe that the Irish are the least anxious people in the world. There is no secret either to this absence of anxiety on their part. It lies in the realization that man lives in eternity, and time therefore is an illusion which is not to be taken seriously. Time and eternity are, of course, the opposites of each other, so if you believe in one you cannot take the other seriously. Not taking time seriously dissolves the greater portion of frets and worries in this world. I recommend the attitude if you are harassed in your daily life."
- Leonard Wibberly in The Shannon Sailors


Related lovely thoughts from Story People artwork, another good thing from Decorah:

"Everything changed the day she realized there was just enough time for the important things in her life."

"Most people don't realize there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home