Monday, September 08, 2008

Coming of Age

The Age of Enlightenment: "I think, therefore I am."

This is not exactly good Christian anthropology (notion of what it means to be human). 17th century philosopher Rene Descartes' statement is based on a false sense of individual autonomy and an improperly elevated view of Reason. However, it is at least dignified and implies some capacity for and interest in wisdom.
Fast forward a few hundred years . . .
The Age of Entitlement: "I deserve whatever I want," "I have _____, therefore I am better than you," and "I do because I can."

Is this 'progress'? It actually sounds a bit like the developmental inclinations of the average 2-3 year old, except that most toddlers are also given to spontaneous, uncalculating displays of affection and gratuitous acts of sharing. I suppose that the glorification or valorization of certain puerile tendencies is an eternal liability of the human condition. Even so, I cringe when I think about how this era in my so-called civilization's history will be remembered by those who come after.

What will it take for 21st century petit bourgeois society to grow up?

I am afraid I will live to find out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth B said...

Amen and amen. Pithy, powerful, and precise.

September 08, 2008 3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home